The Oviatt offers both Individual and Group Study Rooms for CSUN students to use. Individual study rooms are located on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. Those located along the south wall of the building are available on a first come first serve basis. Those along the north side of the wall (on the 2nd and 3rd floors) must be reserved using our online reservation system. Group study rooms are located in the Learning Commons on the main floor, as well as floors 2, 3 and floor. These study rooms must be reserved using our online reservation system:
General Study Room Policies
POLICY UPDATE: Study rooms can be reserved for SAME-DAY use only.
- Group study rooms are available and dedicated for use by CSUN students (2 or more) for collaborative study and group projects.
- Individual study rooms can only accommodate one CSUN student.
- Reservations must be made by a student with an @csun.edu or @my.csun.edu email address.
- Reservations must be confirmed by email within 30 minutes of making the reservation.
- By confirming the reservation, students agree that the group study rooms will be used by a group of two or more students.
- Students are highly encouraged to bring a (print or digital) copy of their confirmation as proof of reservation.
- The Library reserves the right to ask single occupants -- with or without confirmed reservations -- to vacate a room immediately for a group of two or more CSUN students.
- If a group doesn’t show up within 10 minutes of the start of the reservation, it has forfeited the reservation. Any group can use it for the remainder of that half hour block.
- Posters, notes, and other items may not be hung on walls or windows. Windows are not to be covered or obstructed.
- Lights must remain on at all times.
- Maximum occupancy limits must be adhered to or group study room privileges may be lost.
- The Library is not responsible for the security of personal items. Any items left in rooms after the end of the reservation period may be removed by Library staff and placed in the Library's lost and found.
- Failure to comply with established policies may result in suspension of group study room privileges and/or other library privileges.
- Graduate Study Rooms are NOT included in this reservation form. Go to Guests Services Checkout Desk in lobby for access to these.
Locked research rooms are available to faculty who have long-term projects that require easy access to Library materials. These rooms are shared by up to four faculty members, therefore may not be used to store personal items and circulating library material even if properly checked out. Reference material and uncharged circulating material also may not be left in the research rooms, as they are rendered unavailable and untraceable if they are locked up. When a faculty study room is no longer needed the key should be returned to Circulation. To obtain a key for these rooms, an application must be filled out first with Circulation.
In addition to using the study room online reservation system to reserve a group or individual study room open to all CSUN students, graduate students have a designated large group study room in the Garden Level, and individual study rooms on the 4th floor. Keys to these rooms may be obtained at the Guest Services Desk.