Duties and Responsibilities
- Advocacy for Open Access: "If knowledge matters, it must matter beyond the boundaries of our campuses".
- CSUN ScholarWorks Institutional Repository (DSpace platform)
- Digital collection development & digitization, including theses and dissertations
- Digital publishing with CSUN Open Journal Systems
- Outreach: demos, workshops & tutorials for ScholarWorks
- Consultation on scholarly communication, especially copyright, open-access, and predatory publishing
- Reference & bibliographic instruction;
- Collection development for Philosophy, Asian Studies, and Japanese Language and Literature | 日本語
Current Library Projects
Library and Information Science Research Interests
- Information "pathologies" such as:
- Information and cognitive overload
- Fake news, disinformation and misinformation
- Search-stopping behaviors and conditions
- Privacy and surveillance
- Data and "Big Data"
- Japanese digital texts (RSCA Grant awarded 2013-2014)
- Massive Digital Libraries
- Digital libraries & institutional repositories
- (Book) Andrew Weiss. 2020. The Dark Side of our Digital World (and What You Can Do About It). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers,
- (Book) Andrew Weiss. 2018. Big Data Shocks: An Introduction to Big Data for Librarians and Information Professionals. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Review (March 2019) in College & Research Libraries (C&RL)
- (Book) Andrew Weiss and Ryan James. 2014. Using Massive Digital Libraries: A LITA Guide. Chicago: Neal-Schuman Publishing.
- (Article) Andrew Weiss, Ahmed Alwan, Eric Garcia, and Julieta Garcia. 2020. "Surveying fake news: Assessing university faculty’s fragmented definition of fake news and its impact on teaching critical thinking,” International Journal for Educational Integrity, 16, 1. doi.org/10.1007/s40979-019-0049-x
- (Article) Andrew Weiss. 2018."Re-examining ‘Library Futures’: Data, Big Data, and Ethical Innovation," Journal of New Librarianship 3(2), pp. 159-170. doi.org/10.21173/newlibs/5/2
- (Article) Andrew Weiss. 2017. "Massive Digital Libraries (MDLs): Issues and outcomes from the mass-digitization of books," in Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, 4th ed. IGI Publishers.
- (Article) Andrew Weiss. 2016. “Examining Massive Digital Libraries (MDLs) and Their Impact on Reference Services,” The Reference Librarian. doi.org/10.1080/02763877.2016.1145614
- (Proceedings) Andrew Weiss and Ryan James. 2016. “Comparing the access to and legibility of Japanese language texts in Massive Digital Libraries.” 2015 International Conference on Culture and Computing (Culture and Computing), Kyoto, p. 57-63. doi.org/10.1109/Culture.and.Computing.2015.51
- (Article) Andrew Weiss and Ryan James. 2013. "Assessing the coverage of Hawaiian and Pacific books in the Google Books digitization project," OCLC Systems & Services 29(1), pp.13 – 21. doi.org//10.1108/10650751311294519 -- awarded Highly Commended paper by Emerald, 2014.
- (Article) Ryan James and Andrew Weiss. 2012. “An assessment of Google Books’ Metadata,” Journal of Library Metadata 12(1), Taylor and Francis. doi.org/10.1080/19386389.2012.652566
- MLISc, Library and Information Science, University of Hawaii at Manoa (2008)
- M.A., English Literature, Temple University
- B.A., English Literature, Kenyon College
- Access CV here [PDF | Updated 1/2021]