In a spring 2019 survey of CSUN students who participated in AL$, nearly 70% said they delay buying their required course textbooks, while 35% of students forego buying textbooks due to cost. This may mean the difference between graduating on time or dropping out.
Are you curious about options for using Open Educational Resources and/or low-cost materials in your classes? Would you like to hear from fellow faculty about the benefits and challenges involved? As part of the CSU-wide Affordable Learning $olutions initiative, faculty at CSUN have already saved students over $1,000,000.
Join us for the Affordable Learning Solutions event on October 23rd, where we will recognize faculty who have contributed to student success through switching to OERs or low-cost textbooks.
At the event, you will be able to:
- Meet some of the faculty who have incorporated low to zero cost materials into their courses without compromising quality!
- Share ideas with fellow faculty who are dedicated to addressing textbook affordability issues.
- Learn about grant opportunities to join the AL$ initiative.
Continental breakfast will be provided.
9:15 - 9:30 Coffee & Refreshments
9:30 - 9:40 Opening remarks by Dr. Matthew Cahn, Interim Vice Provost
9:40 - 10:00 Affordable Learning $olutions Showcase & Faculty Recognition
10:00 - 11:00 Faculty Panel and Q&A.
- Audrey Thacker, English
- Matthew Clements, Queer Studies
- Debra Berry Malmberg, Psychology
- Moderator: Mary-Pat Stein, Faculty President
11:00 - 11:30 Student Panel.
11:30 - 12:00 Networking Time
AL$ Awardees Testimonials
Please RSVP by October 9th
Parking is $8.00. For more information about parking please see Visitor Information.
To arrange assistance for persons with disabilities, including interpreters for deaf and hard of hearing persons, please call (818) 677-2638 in advance of the event.