In a spring 2019 survey of CSUN students who participated in AL$, nearly 70% said they delay buying their required course textbooks, while 35% of students forego buying textbooks due to cost. This may mean the difference between graduating on time or dropping out.
Are you curious about options for using Open Educational Resources and/or low-cost materials in your classes? Would you like to hear from fellow faculty about the benefits and challenges involved? As part of the CSU-wide Affordable Learning $olutions initiative, faculty at CSUN have already saved students over $1,000,000.
Join us for the Affordable Learning Solutions event on October 23rd, where we will recognize faculty who have contributed to student success through switching to OERs or low-cost textbooks.
At the event, you will be able to:
- Meet some of the faculty who have incorporated low to zero cost materials into their courses without compromising quality!
- Share ideas with fellow faculty who are dedicated to addressing textbook affordability issues.
- Learn about grant opportunities to join the AL$ initiative.
Continental breakfast will be provided.
9:15 - 9:30 Coffee & Refreshments
9:30 - 9:40 Opening remarks by Dr. Matthew Cahn, Interim Vice Provost
9:40 - 10:00 Affordable Learning $olutions Showcase & Faculty Recognition
10:00 - 11:00 Faculty Panel and Q&A.
- Audrey Thacker, English
- Matthew Clements, Queer Studies
- Debra Berry Malmberg, Psychology
- Moderator: Mary-Pat Stein, Faculty President
11:00 - 11:30 Student Panel.
11:30 - 12:00 Networking Time
AL$ Awardees Testimonials
Please RSVP by October 9th
Requests for accommodation services (e.g., sign language interpreters or transcribers) must be made at least five (5) business days in advance. Please call (818) 677-2638 in advance of the event.