The CSUN University Library is committed to providing accessible library resources, services and programs to all of its users. Library employees will make every effort to assist users with inaccessible electronic or physical resources. General information regarding Library hours, collections, and services may be found on the Library's homepage.
Access to Library Collections and Services
The Library has established three assistive technology study rooms featuring a wide range of sophisticated hardware and software designed to increase access to Library resources for CSUN students registered with Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES). The rooms are located on the main floor in the Learning Commons. CSUN students wishing to use one of the assistive technology rooms may obtain a key at the Guest Services desk located in the lobby. Students will be asked to present their card from the DRES office indicating that they have received appropriate training on the equipment, and a current valid CSUN ID. The assistive technology rooms may be checked out for three hours per day.
Using Electronic Resources and Retrieving Physical Materials
For assistance retrieving physical books and media from the stacks:
- Items can be paged by Library employees and put on hold for pickup by signing in and using the Request feature in OneSearch. For "main collection" materials, users can choose their pickup location, either the Guest Services desk, located in the lobby, or Library Lockers, located outside the Library on the east side of the portico. Materials requested from other collections are only available for pickup from the Library Lockers. Allow approximately one weekday during Library hours to pick up your items. You will be notified by email when your items are ready for pickup. Note: "Stored" items requested from the Automated Storage and Retrieval System (AS/RS), which is located within the Guest Services area, are available for pickup at the Guest Services desk within 10-15 minutes. For more information, call (818) 677-2274 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject to staff availability, for faster assistance getting access to materials in the stacks, check at the Guest Services desk located in the lobby for the main collection, and at the service desk located on the 2nd floor, east wing, for materials located in the Teacher Curriculum Center/Music & Media.
If you need assistance using a scanner, contact staff at the Library Technology Services desk, located on the first floor, northeast corner of the Learning Commons. Additional information on scanning is available. CSUN students with training provided by DRES can also use the scanners in the Assistive Technology Rooms.
You can renew circulating Library materials four ways:
- Visit OneSearch to sign in to your account and renew books online
- Email a renewal request using our online renewal form
- Renew items by phone by calling (818) 677-4745 (available 24 hours a day)
- Bring items to the Guest Services desk during regular Library hours
Once you have renewed an item the maximum number of times, you must return it. Overdue books, books on course reserve, and books recalled for course reserves cannot be renewed.
Library personnel cannot read from books or other library materials for users. Students should contact the Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) in advance of their needs for guidelines on research assistance.
The CSUN University Library features wheelchair accessible entry ramps located on both the East and West sides of the building's main entrance. Both the East and West doors of the Library’s entrance are also power assisted. Note: as of fall semester 2022, due to construction, only the ramp on the West side of the building can access the main entrance, subject to change. Library Lockers can be accessed from a ramp on the East side of the Librayr, just north of the construction area. See map. Check Fall 2022 Library Updates for more recent changes.
The main elevators, located next to the Guest Services desk, provide access to all floors, including the Lower Level with staff assistance. The East Wing elevator is accessible to floors main through four, and the Map Library, located on the Lower Level.
Restrooms, Telephones, and Drinking Fountains
Wheelchair-accessible restrooms and drinking fountains/water filler stations are available on all floors of the Library.
Telephones for on campus calls only (such as departmental offices) are located on the second through fourth floors.
Reporting Accessibility Issues
If you find a specific accessibility problem with a Library resource or service, please let us know using our ADA Problems with Library Services and Resources reporting form.
- CSUN homepage
- Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES) - (818) 677-2684 (voice/TTY), email@example.com
- National Center on Deafness (NCOD) - (818) 677-2054 (voice/TTY), Zoom ID: 818 677 2054, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Reasonable Accommodations
- Universal Design Center
- Campus Parking & Transportation Services - (818) 677-2157, email@example.com
- University Library Deaf Related Materials Collection
- ADA.gov: Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act
- American Foundation for the Blind
- Deaf Resource Library Collection
- Described and Captioned Media Program
- Disability Resource Community
- DO-IT - Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology
- National Rehabilitation Information Center
- Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)