The Oviatt Library is committed to maintaining a comfortable, safe, and respectful environment that is conducive to individual and collaborative learning, research, study, leisure reading, and diverse educational and cultural programming.
In addition to complying with all applicable Oviatt Library, CSUN, CSU, and government policies, rules, laws, and regulations, the following Code of Conduct applies to all users of the Oviatt Library, including CSUN students, employees, campus visitors, and community members.
Non-compliance may result in a request to leave the Library, loss of Library privileges, and/or a report filed with the Coordinator of Student Conduct and/or Campus Police Services.
The following behaviors are prohibited:
- Possessing a weapon of any kind in the Library.
- Smoking of any kind (including vapor cigarettes) and/or using other tobacco products (See University Smoke- and Tobacco-Free Policy).
- Using illicit drugs, legal recreational drugs (including marijuana products), medical marijuana if smoked/inhaled, and alcohol.
- Sexual misconduct, including lewd behavior, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and any conduct of a sexual nature either with or without the consent of the person(s) to whom such conduct is directed.
- Disruptive, disorderly, disrespectful, hostile, or harassing behavior directed towards other Library users or Library employees.
- Leaving personal belongings unattended is at the owner’s risk. The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property. Library users who have had their property stolen should file a report with the campus police at 818-677-2111.
- Refusing to adhere to the Library’s noise policies.
- Refusing to adhere to the Library’s schedule of open hours.
- Refusing to adhere to the Library’s policy on study room reservations and use.
- Refusing to comply with a Library employee or a campus authority’s request to exit the Library at closing time or in an emergency or other situation requiring evacuation of the building.
- Attire and/or personal hygiene (bare feet, no shirt, extreme body odor, excessive perfume/cologne, excessive dirt, etc.) that creates an uncomfortable, unsafe, or unhealthy environment for other users, unless otherwise protected by law.
- Violating the CSUN Policy on Time, Place and Manner of Free Expression and the Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds sections 6.3.3.E.i and 6.3.3.E.ii, which prohibits using campus property (including the interior and exterior patio of the Library) with the intent to set up “lodging or camping.”
- Using skateboards, scooters, bicycles, shopping carts, roller skates, self-balancing scooters (e.g., Hoverboard®), and other wheeled vehicles inside the Library and on the patio, except for wheelchairs or other wheeled conveyances for persons with disabilities, baby strollers, rolling backpacks, shopping totes, suitcases, and trucks and carts used to transport authorized goods and materials.
- Minor children, unless enrolled as students at CSUN or otherwise authorized, may not enter the Library without a parent or guardian.
- Bringing any live animal into the Library or leaving a live animal unattended outside the Library, except for those that meet the criteria described in ADA Requirements: Service Animals guidelines or approved by Library Administration and the CSUN office of Risk Management.
- While the exercise of freedom of speech and rights of assembly on campus and in the Library is encouraged, such activities that unreasonably interfere with or disrupt Library operations, violate its noise and room use policies, or block access to its entrances and emergency exits. See CSUN Policy on Time, Place, and Manner of Free Expression and the Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds (6.1.2.A-D).
- Soliciting, selling goods and services, panhandling, and petitioning activities inside the Library, outside and south of the main entrance up to the staircase balustrades or columns, and on the ramps and staircases leading up to the Library patio. See CSUN Policy on Time, Place, and Manner of Free Expression and the Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds (6.3.3.B).
- Distributing brochures, leaflets, etc., in the Library, unless approved in advance by Library Administration.
- Vandalizing or defacing any part of the Library building or its contents, failing to place trash and/or garbage in designated receptacles, willfully causing or failing to report the accidental clogging or overflow of toilets and sinks, or otherwise creating or contributing to an unsafe or unhealthy environment.
B. Related to Collections and Equipment
- Leaving the Library with any of its materials or equipment without properly checking them out from a service desk with the appropriate CSUN ID card or Oviatt Library card is considered theft (California Penal Code Chapter 5: Larceny).
- Deliberately mutilating or damaging Library materials is a misdemeanor (California Education Code Section 19910).
- Sharing a CSUN ID card or Oviatt Library card with anyone without prior authorization from Library Administration for checking out library materials or equipment.
- Concealing Library materials or equipment for the purpose of exclusive use.
- Failing to return or renew Library materials and equipment on or before their due dates.
- Violating CSUN’s or the Library’s policies on computer use.
C. Related to the Use of the Library Building
- Willfully blocking or obstructing any Library entrance, exit, emergency exit, lobby area, staircase, aisle, or walkway.
- Willfully using or propping open any designated Library emergency exit without the threat of imminent danger or another emergency, or official order to evacuate.
- Appropriating Library furnishings, computer labs, study spaces, restrooms, etc. to the possible detriment of another Library user’s ability to access and enjoy a comfortable, inclusive, and safe environment conducive to research, study, and learning.
- Library teaching labs are only open for individual computer use by CSUN students, faculty, and staff unless otherwise reserved for use by Library employees. Non-CSUN students or employees may not use the teaching labs without prior authorization from Library administration.
- Use of Library facilities for meetings, events, and other group activities by CSUN student and/or employee groups is prohibited without prior approval from Library Administration or their designee. These facilities include but are not limited to the Learning Commons, ASRS Viewing Room, Ferman Presentation Room, and Group/Individual Study Rooms.
- Use of Library facilities for meetings, events, and other group activities by any community members and/or an outside commercial entity is prohibited by campus policy CSUN Policy on Time, Place and Manner of Free Expression and the Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds.
- Filming inside the Library, except under the following circumstances:
- For class assignments that require videotaping or photo shoots, CSUN students must obtain permission from Library Administration by submitting the Library’s Student Film Request Form and also obtain permission from University Licensing via the CSUN CTVA Student Filming Request form or CSUN Internal Dept./Student Filming Request form.
- For commercial projects, permissions and arrangements must be obtained from University Licensing.
- For news organizations, contact the Office of Media Relations at (818) 677-2130 for assistance.
- Posting signs, fliers, and posters on the Library’s exterior walls, doors, windows, and walkways, unless approved in advance by Library Administration.
- With the exception of Library employee offices and workspaces, posting signs, fliers, and posters on interior doors, windows, walls, floors, or ceilings of the Library unless approved in advance by Library Administration.
- Posting to the Associated Students bulletin boards located in the Library requires the approval of the Matador Involvement Center.
The Oviatt Library Code of Conduct was adapted from similar policies in use at other CSU campuses’ libraries, and is also based upon and/or encompasses all applicable CSUN, CSU, local, state, and federal policies; executive orders; and rules, ordinances, codes, and regulations, including:
- California Education and Penal Codes
- CSUN Standards for Student Conduct (California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Article 2)
- CSUN Division of Student Affairs Policies and Procedures
- CSUN Uses of Computing Resources
- CSUN Copyrighted Materials
- CSUN Policy on Time, Place and Manner of Free Expression and the Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds
- University Smoke- and Tobacco-Free Policy
Contact Information: For further information, contact Library Administration during business hours at 818-677-2271.