To help Library users find a study environment with a noise level that is most conducive to their needs, the University Library has two options, depending on location: Collaborative Study and Quiet Study:
- 3rd Floor core
- 2nd Floor: core, Teacher Curriculum Center/Music & Media, Library Exhibit Gallery
- Main Floor: ASRS Viewing Room, West Wing/CMS, Lobby, Learning Commons
- Group Study Rooms (Floors 1 - 4)
- Map Collection
- Ferman Presentation Room
- Talking is allowed but please keep voices down.
- No party atmosphere, shouting, or amplified media.
- Cell phone ringer set to vibrate.
- Cell phones may be used for short conversations in these areas if the same low tone of voice is maintained.
- Use headphones with personal media.
- NOTE: Noise level may vary in some areas due to location of service desks/main entrance and occasional Library events.
- 4th Floor core
- RPM (Reserves, Periodicals, and Microforms)
- Gohstand Reading Room
- Individual Study Rooms (Floors 2-4)
- Graduate Study Rooms (Garden Level and 4th floor)
- Quiet places for individual study: No talking, either in person or by phone.Cell phone ringers set to silent or off. If you have to use your cell phone, please move to Floors 1, 2 or 3, or a stairwell.
- No amplified media.
- Headphones set to low volume.
- Keep voices low when transitioning to the 4th floor, particularly in the hallways.
- Reasonable non-verbal noise OK.
- NOTE: Noise levels will vary near hallways, service desks, or due to occasional library sponsored events / presentations in adjacent areas.
Group Study Rooms Noise Policy
The group study rooms located in the core on floors 1-4 are designated Collaborative Study spaces, with the following limitations:
- These rooms are NOT soundproofed.
- Please be considerate of others around you, and use a conversational tone of voice.
- No party atmosphere, shouting, or amplified media; cell phone ringer set to vibrate.
- Keep study room doors CLOSED while in use
- NOTE: The 4th floor is a Quiet Study space; therefore, please keep voices low when going to/from the study rooms.
We expect Library users to be respectful of each other and library employees.
To report a noise complaint, please text Guest Services at (818) 900-2965, or call (818) 677-2274