The University Library and the CSUN Department of Journalism will host the 8th Annual Banned Books Readout on Thursday, October 1, 2020 from 1:00pm to 3:00pm on Zoom.
Elizabeth Blakey, J.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Dept. of Journalism, and First Amendment scholar will speak on the topic of "CENSORSHIP IN THE AGE OF CORONA."
CSUN students from Professor Blakey’s Journalism 390 - Freedom of the Press class will read aloud from censored books.
Program of Events
- 1:00pm - 1:10pm: Reception
- 1:10pm: Professor Blakey's Address
Censorship in the Age of Corona
Prof. Elizabeth Blakey, J.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Dept. of Journalism
- 1:40pm: Banned Books Readout
CSUN students read from the most-banned books of 2019 (selected works) and additional often-censored books
- 2:00pm: Q&A and Conclusion of Event
List of Titles and CSUN Undergraduate Student Readers
- THE HATE U GIVE (2017) written by Angie Thomas and read by Laura Peralta
- I AM JAZZ (2014) written by Jessica Herthel and read by Clarissa Ayala
- AND TANGO MAKES THREE (2005) written by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell and read by Ashley Vigil
- HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS (1998) written by J.K. Rowling and read by Jacob Eichensehr
- SEX IS A FUNNY WORD (2015) written by Cory Silverberg and read by Aileen Ramirez
- I KNOW WHY THE CAGE BIRD SINGS (1969) written by Maya Angelou and read by Seychelles Mizel
- GEORGE (2015) written by Alex Gino and read by Gilbert Barroso
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF MARLON BUNDO (2018) written by Jill Twiss and read by Nakai Contreras
Learn More about Banned Books
Banned Books Week, which runs from Sept. 27-Oct. 3, celebrates our freedom to choose what we read and draws attention to the harms of censorship.
Full details are available on our Event Flyer (.pdf)
Please RSVP for this event by using the form below.
Requests for accommodation services (e.g., sign language interpreters or transcribers) must be made at least five (5) business days in advance. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the event.