Join us as we welcome Dr. Ochoa to CSUN, and enjoy an unforgettable evening with one of America’s trailblazers.
Ellen Ochoa has charted a dazzling and inspirational career path: from her early days as a researcher, to her four missions as an astronaut, to heading up NASA’s Johnson Space Center, Ochoa has seen first hand the importance of minorities in STEM, women in leadership positions, and the way innovative change management can push a team—an entire organization—forward.
Ellen Ochoa is a pioneer like no other. She made history as the first Latina to go to space, blazing a trail for other marginalized kids who dream of the stars. There were few minorities in leadership when she joined NASA—so she changed that, becoming the first Hispanic and second female director of the Johnson Space Center. Despite her many accomplishments, Ellen says the biggest role she’s played is in mentoring and advocating for the next generation: “astronauts, scholars, who will go on to accomplish more than we can imagine.” In her evocative talks, she draws from her wealth of experiences, both in space and on the ground, to empower audiences to break barriers and overcome adversity.
There will be two sessions on September 28, 2023:
- 3:00-3:45 pm: for visiting students from local middle and high schools - Location: USU Northridge Center. This session of the event is full.
- 4:00-5:30pm: for the general CSUN community and guests - Location: USU Grand Salon. This session of the event is full. Although registration is now closed, we will accept non-registered “walk-ins” depending on seating availability.
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)
- University Library, College of Science and Mathematics, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Drs. Lan K. Wong and Deborah D.L Chung Distinguished Speaker Series Endowment
- Gary Sutter
- O2EPCM, Inc.
- Dr. Bonita J. Campbell
- Porto's Bakery
Requests for accommodation services (e.g., sign language interpreters or transcribers) must be made at least five (5) business days in advance. Please e-mail email@example.com in advance of the event.