Slides from our Event
Our event is now past, but you can get the slides from our presenters:
- Sean Grant - How to Do Transparent, Open, and Reproducible Research
- Abe Rutchick - Open Science: A (Slightly) Personal History
This year the Oviatt Library celebrates the open access movement once again with Open Science: The Future of Research and Education, at which we will present our Fourth Annual Open Access Award! This time the $500 award will go to CSUN Biology Professor Dr. Steven Oppenheimer for his pioneering work in publishing the open access journal The New Journal of Student Research Abstracts, a publication featuring science experiments of K-12 students.
Additionally, our theme for the event will focus on open science and issues of reproducibility. Our keynote speaker, Dr. Sean Grant from the RAND Corporation will discuss ‘How to Do Transparent, Open, and Reproducible Research,’ where he promises to “(1) to convince attendees to incorporate best practices of open science in future projects, and (2) to motivate attendees to promote the use of best practices in open science to others (e.g., as part of their teaching).” Rounding out the day’s events will be CSUN’s Dr. Abe Rutchick, from the department of Psychology, who will discuss his own experiences with reproducibility in the field of Psychology and his inspiring research work with the Center for Open Science (COS).
The event, which is to be held in the Oviatt Library Ferman Presentation Room, will begin at 9:00, with registration starting at 8:30. Coffee and a light breakfast will be provided to registrants.
- 8:30-9:00 Registration / coffee / breakfast
- 9:00-9:10 Introduction by Library Dean, Mark Stover
- 9:15-10:15 Sean Grant, researcher, RAND Corporation on “How to do transparent, open, and reproducible research”
- 10:30-10:45: Fourth Annual Open Access Award for Steven Oppenheimer
- 10:45-11:45: Abe Rutchick, faculty, CSUN
Parking is $8.00. For more information about parking please see Visitor Information.
Requests for accommodation services (e.g., sign language interpreters or transcribers) must be made at least five (5) business days in advance. Please call (818) 677-2638 in advance of the event.