Current Duties and Responsibilities:
My current duties and responsibilities include serving as a Library Faculty member, the Coordinator of Instruction & Information Literacy, and as a Bibliographer/Collection Developer, library liaison and guest lecturer for the following departments, programs and subject areas:
- Jewish Studies
- Gender & Women's Studies
- Queer Studies
- Hebrew Language
- California Studies
- Classical Greek & Roman
During each semester, I teach Information Literacy and Library Instruction sessions to students in all of the above mentioned disciplines. I also assist students and faculty with their research in these areas.
I may frequently be out of my office for meetings and reference desk duties. The best ways to reach me are via e-mail or phone at the e-mail address or phone number listed on this page.
To request library materials click here on Library Request and complete the form.
Coordinator of Information Literacy & Instruction Duties:
As the Coordinator of Information Literacy & Instruction at the Oviatt Library, I work collaboratively with fellow library faculty members and teaching faculty to manage the library's information literacy instructional programs and insure that at all levels of the academic organization we are effectively implementing student centered and curriculum-integrated information literacy programming. At CSUN Information Literacy strategies vary by department, but may include efforts based in Freshman Orientation/Seminar Courses, General Education Courses, Cornerstone and Capstone Classes in Each Discipline, or Information Competency Mastery Requirements. To learn more please visit: http://library.csun.edu/ResearchAssistance/InformationCompetence
Library Instructional Programming
The Oviatt Library has a robust instructional program that supports our information literacy programming. Faculty can request a library lecture on research resources appropriate for specific subjects and individual classes. Call your Library Subject Specialist, use our instruction request form, or call 677-2277 to schedule. Please note: The library lecture is not officially scheduled until the librarian has made contact with the faculty member.
For our information literacy tutorial modules please visit: https://library.csun.edu/tutorials
- Personnel Planning and Review Committee
- Information Literacy Consultant to CSUN Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UPDWE)
- Merlot ICT Editorial Board Member
- Bullough Planning Committee (Library)
- American Library Association (ALA)
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- ACRL/IFLA Joint Working Group for Information Literacy
- Library Leadership & Management (LAMA)
- California Academic & Research Libraries (CARL)
- Masters in Library & Information Science, 1998
University of California, Los Angeles.
- Masters of Arts in History,1998
University of California, Los Angeles.
- Bachelor of Arts, History, 1994
University of California, Santa Barbara
Publications & Awards
- see my Curriculum Vitae for a complete listing of publications
- Book. Creating a Learning Commons: A Practical Guide for Librarians co-authored with Coleen Meyers Martin. 2019. Rowman Littlefield.
- Author. Book. Combating Student Plagiarism: An Academic Librarian's Guide. 2008
- Book. Proven Strategies for Building an Information Literacy Program. Co-authored with Sue Curzon. 2008. ALA.
- 2014 Jolene Koester Team Award Winner in recognition of participation in Oviatt Library Transformation
- University of California Regents Scholar, University of California Santa Barbara (1990-1994)
- A. Russel Buchanan Award Recipient, Department of History and UCSB Alumni Association , 1994
Previous Positions & Duties
- Interim Associate Dean, Oviatt Library (July 2014-July 2015)
- Chair, Research, Instruction and Outreach Services (July 2005-July 2014), Oviatt Library, CSU Northridge
- Coordinator of Instruction & Information Literacy (2001-July 2014; July 2015-present), Oviatt Library,CSU Northridge
- Reference & Instructional Services Librarian (2001-present) Tenured & Full Librarian Status Achieved
Oviatt Library, CSU Northridge
- Current Oviatt Library Bibliographer for History, Gender & Women's Studies, Jewish Studies, Queer Studies & Hebrew
- Information Specialist, California Lutheran University, (1998-2001)
Highlighted Projects & Presentations
- Podcast: The Written Word: Writing and Information Literacy (recorded May 1, 2018)
- Turnitin.com National Webcast on Plagiarism Prevention : Responding to Plagiarism Lesson Plans & Strategies
- Turniitin.com National Webcast, 2016. Finding the Needle in the Haystack: Information Fluency and Digital Literacies
- Turniitin.com National Webcase, Literacy is Fundamental, Leveraging Reading to Improve Student Writing
- Project Manager, Oviatt Library Learning Commons Remodel