While in-person reference and research services have been suspended, students, faculty, and other researchers can request access to materials in Special Collections and Archives by requesting duplications. During the COVID-19 crisis:
- Fees for PDF scans for all users will be waived through Summer 2021.
- Requests will be prioritized accordingly:
- First priority - requests placed by CSUN students
- Second priority - requests placed by CSUN faculty and staff
- Third priority - requests placed by researchers who are unaffiliated with CSUN
- Extensive scanning orders will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, regardless of CSUN status or institutional affiliation, and may be slower or impossible to complete.
- Materials available in other parts of the library will not be scanned. Please see information about how to borrow, return, and renew circulating items during COVID-19.
Note: Requests submitted by researchers unaffiliated with CSUN may take 4-6 weeks to fill.
Before submitting a request, please review the Duplication Fee Schedule.
After you submit the form, Special Collections and Archives staff will contact you to determine the total cost (if any), send instructions for payment (if needed), and provide an estimated delivery date. Payment must be received before orders can be filled. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
*Duplications of materials in the Tom & Ethel Bradley Center's Collections should contact Bradley Center staff.
Permission to Publish
Special Collections & Archives staff may be able to help you determine whether CSUN owns the copyright for materials you are interested in publishing, reproducing, or including in a public display. Researchers interested in using collection materials in a public display, printed work, audio-visual production, or online resource, should request permission below. Special Collections & Archives staff will research the copyright status of the material, and respond to you within 10 business days.
For more information about our ability to give permission for publication of materials in our collections, see Permission for Publication.
*Permission to publish materials in the Tom & Ethel Bradley Center's Collections should contact Bradley Center staff.
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions about duplications.
When the Special Collections & Archives Reading Room is open researchers make their own duplications using our BookEye scanner. They can save scans to their own USB drives, or email scans to themselves. Special Collections & Archives staff must carefully review collection materials before researchers can make scans.
Restrictions may apply to items, series, or entire collections due to donor agreements, copyright restrictions, or fragility of materials. We reserve the right to limit or refuse duplication. Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish. The scanner cannot be used to scan materials that are not part of the collections in Special Collections and Archives.