The Vern and Bonnie Bullough Collection on Sex and Gender was established by former CSUN faculty member Vern Bullough. He donated his personal research library to the Oviatt starting in 1973, and continued making donations through the 1990s. Its purpose is to document social attitudes and studies of sex and gender from ancient times to the present, in support of CSUN curricula and research. In addition to donating his personal collection, Vern Bullough also established an endowment that supports the Oviatt in continuing to build the collection, and funds special programming relating to sex, gender, and the campus community.
The collection is maintained for research and educational purposes, and is comprised of books, periodicals, manuscripts, and archival materials covering such topics as cross-dressing, gender roles in various time periods, the homosexual community in Los Angeles, prostitution, the transgendered community, children and gender, nudism, gender and medicine, fetishism, and pornography. The majority of materials in the Bullough Collection are in Special Collections and Archives, though there are some items in other parts of the library.
Publications that are a part of the Bullough Collection, including newspapers and periodicals, can be found in the OneSearch.
Finding Archival Materials
Archival materials in the Bullough Collection can be found by browsing the list below, or searching the Finding Aid Database.
- Aristide J. Laurent Collection, 1967-2000
- Carole Marks Collection, 1975-1976
- Christine Jorgensen Cross Dressing Correspondence Collection, 1953
- Cross Dressing Newsletters Collection, 1974-2001
- Dale Jennings Scrapbook Collection, 1950-1996
- Flagellation Collection, 1936-1967
- Floyd M. Martinson Collection, 1940-2000
- Gay Greeting Card Collection
- Harris-Wheeler Collection, 1870-1920
- Homosexual Information Center Card File Collection, 1954-1995
- Homosexual Information Center Subject Files Collection, 1933-2005
- Jan Dailey and John Money Correspondence Collection, 1979-1996
- Len Evans Collection, 1941-1996
- Mariette Pathy Allen Collection, 1991-2004
- Society for the Second Self (Tri-Ess) Records, 1977-2004
- Stanley Fleishman Collection, 1943-1999
- Transgender Resources Collection, 2000-2014
- Venereal Disease Program Scrapbook, 1936-1941
- Victoria Lynn Johnson Collection, 1977
- Virginia Prince Papers, 1930-1980