Ever wanted to learn how to sew? Need to hem some pants, make a reusable bag, or sew a costume/outfit? The CMS Sewing Machine services are the perfect resource for you! Students can utilize the CMS sewing machines in two ways: checking out a Sewing Machine Kit to take home or by reserving our Sewing Room to work on projects in the Library!
Sewing Machine Checkouts
Four Sewing Machine Kits and Sewing Accessory Kits are available for 2-week equipment checkout and optional 2-week renewal at the CMS desk. For more information on checkout policies, renewals, and fees please visit the Multimedia Equipment Checkout page.
Each Sewing Machine Kit includes a Brother CS7000i Sewing and Quilting Machine and basic sewing components you need to get started on your project all inside a portable rolling bag. Students have the option to check out an additional accessory kit with things like fabric scissors, fabric clips, soft measuring tape, and hand sewing needles.
Sewing Room Reservations
As an alternative to checking out a Sewing Machine Kit to take home, an onsite Sewing Room is available to reserve using LibCal and is fitted with a Brother CS7000i Sewing and Quilting Machine, a large variety of sewing thread, and various accessories needed to start your sewing project. Reservations are only available during CMS service desk hours and can be made up to two weeks in advance.
- Students can book up to a maximum of 3 hours per day, 12 hours per week.
- For a no-show during the first 10 minutes of the reservation, the first hour of the reservation is canceled.
- If the student does not show up within 60 minutes of the start of the original reservation, all of the remaining reserved time slots are canceled.
Room Key Check Out
Students must visit the Creative Maker Studio Desk before each reservation to check out the room key for 3-hours.
Note: If the room key is returned late, CMS 3-hour fees will be applied by $1 per hour or portion thereof for each item until all parts are returned.
|Brother CS7000i Sewing Machine||Extension Table|
|Foot Controller (Pedal)||Brother 90/14 Needle|
|Thread and Matching Bobbins (50 different colors)||Fabric Scissors|
|Thread Sheers||Seam Ripper|
|Cutting Board||Soft Tape Measure|
|Fabric Chalk||Pins and Cushion|
- A maximum of 4 people may be in the room at a time.
- There is no food or open drinks allowed inside the room. Only water is allowed inside enclosed bottles.
- The student who reserved the room must be present throughout the reservation if other patrons are inside.
- 15-minute padding will be placed at the beginning and end of your booking to allow sufficient time for cleaning and drying.
- Repeated no-shows or failure to comply with established policies may result in suspension of CMS privileges and/or other Library privileges.
- The CMS is not responsible for the security of personal items.
- Any items left in the room may be removed by CMS staff and placed in the Library's lost and found.